Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Card for My Neighbor

This is my 3rd post in the same day... can you believe it? This is a special post so please read on.

I made this card especially for my neighbor, Donna, who is battling colon cancer. She is struggling and may only have a few months (or less) left. I took this card to her a couple of weeks ago and she LOVED it. We've been next-door neighbors for over 10 years. She was a surgical nurse, specializing in HEART SURGERIES before she retired due to the cancer. Of course we had a lot to talk about since Jessica has had 5 heart surgeries and Donna has assisted in hundreds of heart surgeries (but none of them Jessica's). She understands exactly what all of Jessica's defects are and knows all the complications that she has/is going through. Unfortunately the things that Donna is going through (bowel obstruction, abdominal pain, etc) are things that Jessica may have to look forward to with her ischemia of the bowels diagnosis. If you read my other blog, Are We Having Fun Yet?, you know that Jess already has a lot of abdominal pain. I am uber worried about Donna and of course, Jessica. None of this stuff if fun.

I just had to make a very special card for Donna. I wanted to make something that she could set on her table and see every day and know how much my family and I care about her. I wanted something very colorful and FUN!

The two images that I stamped are Magnolia's Tilda Picking Lilacs and Butterfly Background. This Tilda stamp is my favorite! She is so cute and fun to color - which I did with my copics. I outlined the clouds and colored in the flowers, butterflies and grass and then cut them out and layered it onto some really fun cardstock called The Citrus Stack that I bought at JoAnns. The swirls in the sky were just too cute to pass up!


You can't really see it but the strips of paper behind Tilda are shinny. Click on the images and I think you can see it a little better. I love the frame which is from Quickutz.


I added a few little pearls, punched the edge with an EK Success punch, added a shinny brad and glittery flower & leaves punched with a Martha Stewart punch and Viola'! A fun, happy, colorful card!


I hope it brings a smile to Donna's face. We sure love her.

Thanks for visiting and please leave me a comment! Everyone loves comments! :-)

4 comments:

Anita said...

Beautiful card! I will keep everyone in prayer.

Oma said...

Beautiful card Nancy & I'm sure Donna will love it!

Candy said...

Hi Nancy!
What a beautiful, colourful and fun card you have made for Donna. How lovely for her to look at it daily and remember fun sunny days.
I will keep Donna as well as your daugher in my prayers.
Hugs, Candyt

Shirley said...

I always love Tilda's, but this one is really special!