Saturday, June 21, 2014
I am making a butterfly mobile for a precious special needs little girl. She loves bright colors and butterflies so I've been making them like crazy! These are a fair amount of work so it's taking me more time than I originally wanted to take but I'm sure she will love it when I finally get finished with it.
I will post another day when I actually have the mobile done but for now, enjoy these butterflies!
I used black Onyz for the outline of the butterflies. I explain that process below. As you can see in these photos, I shaped the butterflies so that they would be 3-dimensional. Once they're hanging from the mobile they should look like they are flying.
I ran the butterfly dies through my Big Shot using the Onyz paper and all the little pieces came out as you can see on the right side of the photo. I used Heavenly White paper for the background of the butterfly and colored it using copics. I placed the black outline on top of the white paper and colored in the individual sections. I then took the black outline off and expanded the coloring a bit so that if I didn't glue the outline exactly where I originally had it, it would still look ok.
When gluing the black outline on top of the colored butterfly cut-out, it's important to shape the card as you glue the together. If you wait until the glue dries then the paper won't bend right. The Onyz paper is a nice, thick and sturdy paper. When you glue it to the other paper it holds that shape nicely. I colored both sides of the white butterfly paper so that it is colorful from any angle. So... I cut out another black outline and glued it to the back. The front of this butterfly is below.
Here is another butterfly using pink, blue and purple copics. The thick outline of this set made it much easier to glue than the thin outline above - but I like the look of both.
This is the back of this butterfly with it face-down. You can see how I colored this side and added the 2nd black outline. You can also see that it's shaped and not flat.
Here it is right-side up.
This is one of my favorite butterflies. I enjoyed coloring different colors in the outer circle cut-outs on the wings.
Below are the smallest and largest butterflies. The smallest one is about 1 1/2" wide and the large one is about 3 1/2" wide. They would be a bit wider if they weren't bent and shaped. The orange area of the large butterfly has two shades of orange. I thought it made a dramatic effect if I feathered the darker color on top of the light.
I plan to put pearls or other "bling" onto the butterfly bodies after I get them hanging on the mobile. I'll be sure to glue them on good so they don't fall off!
Thank you for stopping by! I hope you have a wonderful & creative weekend!
The butterfly dies that I used are Spellbinders and Memory Box dies.
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
Saturday, June 7, 2014
I thought it would be fun to do a 'Blast from the Past' that uses several of the yummy paper that are on sale at PaperTemptress.com. The gorgeous Lustre Paperline is on sale for 25% off and the Hambly Studio is on sale at a 50% discount! Be sure to check out the rest of PaperTemptress's monthly specials on the new Sales page.
I first started off with a teal cardstock and dark brown cardstock from the Basis pack and a Hambly overlay. There are a LOT of Hambly overlays and Screenprints available at the store,in fact,Patricia has cut them down to 6×6 sheets and is selling them in sets. They are on sale too!
I used a floral die from Stampin up to make a window for the overlay to show through. I then layered them and adhered them to the front of a card.
I took my Martha Stewart punches and just started having fun punching them out. (the punches I used are pictured at the end of this post.) I then took my flower making kit (by Punch Bunch) and took out the embossing tool (with the round metal ball at the end.)
On a floral moulding mat I first turned the flower upside down and embossed the petals by gently rolling the ball in a circular motion. Once all the petals are shaped in upward cups I turned the flower rightside up and gently embossed the center of the flower. Below you can see two white flowers that are embossed and the one at the bottom still needs the center embossed.
Here’s a look at the flowers close up. I dabbed liquid pearls in the centers. The large flower in the center was stamped with versa mark ink and heat embossed with detail white embossing powder.
And the top corner:
I added some “shininess”to the overlay by putting some Viva Pearl Pen (Magic Transparent Blue). It was really hard to photograph because the overlay reflects the light so much but I think the photo below captures it the best.
Here’s the card with the Martha Stewart punches I used.
Thank you for coming by! I hope you are enjoying the warmer weather and have a great weekend!