Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Mother's Day Card

I haven't had a chance to post some cards that I recently made... in fact, I haven't even had time to put the finishing touches on my mom's Mother's Day card so that one will have to wait - but I was able to give my mother-in-law her card so that's the one I want to share with you today.

There is a design team call over at "Our Creative Corner" - the theme is "show us your style".  Well, I have so many different styles that I wasn't sure what to submit but I think that this card shows several styles.  I love shabby chic, elegant, cute, colorful with just a touch of grunge.  Here's my card:


My mother-in-law is quite the seamstress.  She has a huge sewing room with many sewing machines and a lot of sewing supplies.  When I saw this Stampin' Up stamp set, Sew Suite, I just knew I had to have it so I could use it to make cards for her.  My mom and I both sew too so it's a set I'm sure to use quite a bit.

Below is a close-up of the sentiment.  I cut the flower out with larger flower from MFT's die-namic's mini rolled roses.  I used Spellbinder's labels twenty to cut out the sentiment and Spellbinder's label fourteen to cut out the decorative paper behind it.


At first I wasn't sure where I was going to place everything so I stamped the pin cushion and colored it with copics then set it aside.  After I decided that I wanted it on the sentiment I adhered it to the already cut out and sponged sentiment and then used Buttercup Liquid Pearls for the heads of the pins.


I used real buttons on this project and tied them with cotton string.  I really enjoy adding embellishments to my projects.  I made my own card with the sewing manikin stamp and hand-drew the dashes and dots.  I used to do that type of thing all the time in my decorative painting projects.  


I used some hand-dyed seam binding for the bow to add a little shabbiness and also used some distressed inks around the edges of each of the stamped items.  Here is an angle of the card to show the lovely dimensions.


I used the doily stamp from Nina Bracket's "Nana's needlework".  I stamped it with veramark ink on vellum and embossed it with detail white embossing powder.  I then fussy-cut it out around the outside edge.  I think it adds a touch of elegance.


I stamped the spool onto cardstock, colored it in with copics and then cut it out.  I then took some embroidery floss and wrapped it around to look like thread.


On the inside of the card I stamped the sewing machine and colored it with copics. I added a little shine with a glitter pen.


Thank you for stopping by!  I hope you enjoyed your visit and remember:  everyone loves comments - especially ME!  So please leave me a message - they keep me going!  tee-hee!  

And join me a little later when I post my card for My Time Made Easy's Pretty Pattern Sketch challenge.

3 comments:

Tui Nathan said...

Best of luck on your submission .... I think this is fabulous, soo much eye candy to adore!!!

Kristin said...

Oh my GOSH!!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!! I love the shabbiness with the bright colors! I love the sewing images and the doily is fantastic. Sorry it took me so long to comment, I've been having major problems with Blogger...Thanks for playing with us at the OCC! Good luck with the DT call!

Jennifer Rzasa said...

I love all of the beautifully colorful elements on your card, and your mix of styles! Thanks for applying to the OCC DT!